Dear ES Parents,
As we come to the end of another year, it gives us time to reflect on the past year. The SIS Elementary had a very busy and successful year. I would like to share some of the ES achievements.
1. Our Junior Choir proudly represented SIS at the KIMEA Elementary Chorus Festival held at YISS. There were children from11 Elementary International Schools from all over Korea singing solos and as a group. Parents were invited to see the final performance where our ES Junior Choir sang brilliantly and I must say behaved exceptionally.
2. As part of our 11th Annual Heifer Read-a-Thon a Kick-Off favorite book character costume assembly was held. Mrs. Andrea Goodrich and HS students created another great reading video with our talented ES students as the stars! Our 5th grade Spirit Club put created another fabulous and entertaining assembly.
3. ES 4th grade hosted a successful day in Korean Politics by inviting guest speaker, Mrs. Haewon Lee, who gave a informative workshop on the history of the Korean Government and how it currently governs.
4. Our 5th grade Spirit Club under the supervision of Mrs. Andrea Goodrich donated toiletries’ to Anna’s House, Funds to the Animal Shelters, Hope for Nepal, and the Heifer Organization. Thank you parents, teachers, and students for your support. We collected 18,758,311 won during the Read-A-Thon.
5. The Best Selling book Wonder was read by all 4th and 5th graders and then they went to see the movie Wonder. As you can imagine, there wasn’t a dry eye in the audience. The 4th grade team designed a bulletin board with Wonderful sayings.
6. Our first Reading Olympics here at SIS was outstanding. All students in grades 1, 2, and 3 participated in a fun and exciting competition. I had the honor to open the Games of the first Reading Olympia here at SIS. I want to thank the entire 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade teams superbly led by Mr. Call. Also, Ms. Patel, and the Workroom TA’s, Ms. Park and Mrs. Choi helped ensure that these games will leave a lasting positive legacy long after the closing ceremonies.
7. After school extra curricular activities ASE, Boosters, 4/5 Grade Sports and Tutoring were just a few of the many after school extra activities provided by our coordinators Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Gagnier, and Mr. Robinson and their staff of hard working teachers. Mrs. Sarah Kim and Mr. Tim Gardes coordinated Battle of the Books. As you can see there are a lot of activities provided after school for our ES kids.
8. Field Trips were abundant and a great learning experience for all. This year we went to the Yongin ECO Park for the first time and that was fantastic. Classes also went to Seoul Grand Park Zoo, Gwacheon National Science Museum, Nongdowon Farm, Kidzania, Lotte World Aquarium, Seoul Forest and the Korean War Museum to name just a few.
9. Students participated at various sporting activities and competitions including district sports where ES was represented exceptionally well. In Chess students achieved the award of 2nd place overall. We had 13 wins and 2 losses at the SFS ES Basketball Jamboree. We were at GSIS participating at their Soccer Jamboree, and our Junior Choir sang beautifully at the YISS Music festival
These are just a few events but it is fair to say that the entire SIS Elementary staff is very proud of the many successes and accomplishments that all of our children have experienced this year.
Volunteers Thank you to all the many volunteers that gave up time to come into school and help with activities such as listening to readers, general help in class and supporting school trips and visits. We really do appreciate everything you do to support our children at SIS Elementary and hope you will be able to continue into the new academic year.
Room Moms We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the enthusiastic and hard working parents who make up the Room Moms. They have had a very successful year running a variety of events such as cake sales, Thanksgiving, Valentine and Christmas parties, Field Trips, and classroom support. I would like to thank Mrs. Christina Lim, and Sylvia Yoon for their support and contributions to our students, staff and parents throughout the year.
I am very proud to be the Principal of this wonderful school. It is a privilege for me to work with our students, our staff and our families. My aim is to continue to lead our ES school community as we work together to achieve our goals.
Mr. Art DeFilippo